At this critical juncture of Eritrea’s history, there are a number of competing and urgent issues that require in-depth and comprehensive analysis and evidence-based policy recommendations that would empower political actors and the wider public in their engagement with national issues. However, the following areas have been identified as priorities:
- Opposition Politics and Struggle for Democracy;
- State Institutions: Security Sector Governance; Public Sector, Public Goods and Services;
- Constitution: Constitutionalism, the Rule of Law; Justice System; and Human Rights;
- Foreign Relations: International Relations, Regional Integrations and Geopolitics;
- Healing the Wounds: Transitional Justice; Social Cohesion; Healing and Reconciliation; Rehabilitation and Reintegration; Peace Education; etc.
- Forced Migration and its Concomitant Consequences; Diaspora life and its Challenges and Repatriation programs.
- Dealing with Marginalization: Youth; Gender Equality, Minorities, and People with Disability;
- Land , Natural Resources and Environment;
- The Economy: Fiscal and Monetary matters; Productive Sector; Private Sector; Mining and Extractive Industry; Agriculture; Marin Resources; Tourism; etc.
- National Identity: History, Languages, Cultural Heritages, Customs, etc.
- Awareness: in collaboration with the Committees for Media and Advocacy and Diplomacy
- Holding of Seminars;
- Interviews; and
- Opinion pieces.
- Development of civic education materials;
- Leadership skills for Youth, Women and leaders of community-based organizations; and
- Coaching and advisory services for leaders of political organizations;
- Policy Proposals:
- Preparation of key discussion documents for Transition.
Activities for 2018
Immediate activities to be carried out in the coming months are the following:
- Establishment of the core group of the Initiative and adopting operational guidelines;
- Calling on all capable and willing Eritrean professionals and academics to join;
- Incremental Formation of specialized research task teams;
- Creation of Data-base of Eritrean Professional and Academics; and
- Working towards the establishment of an on-line periodical.